Sunday, July 20, 2008

Beneficial insect or can I kill it?



This bug crept up on me while I was sitting on my deck! Ack! Scared the daylights out of me! I don't believe I've ever seen this bug before in my entire life of living in the same area. Can anyone identify what this is? It was about the length of my thumb. I prodded it with a cup and it stood up sort of like a praying mantis, and it had long fang-like protrusions coming from its head! It had no wings. It was gray or steel in color. It looked like some creation from a Burton movie. If it's not beneficial---I'M GOING TO KILL IT THE NEXT TIME I SEE IT!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger FroĆ°i Ketilsson said...

She's harmless! She's a herbivore, but she may have a very specific diet, so she's no real threat to your gardens.
If you need to, catch her carefully under a large bowl or cup, slide a piece of paper under it and move her to a tree or bush a comfortable distance away.
Tony

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger peaknik said...

Oh, thanks! Someone else on an yahoogroup said it might be from the same family as a walking stick and likes lettuce. I have kale and swiss chard on my deck so maybe those are what attracted it! Wow. My garden sure is an interesting place!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home